Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Final Thank You

After an indescribable experience abroad in Sydney, Australia, I have learned so many valuable lessons on friendship, patience, independence, intentionality, honesty, and the importance of taking time for myself. It is honestly crazy that I got the opportunity to live and work on the other side of the globe for three and a half months, and I cannot believe that it has already come to an end. Coming home has been so bittersweet, as I have been so sad lately thinking about all of the amazing experiences and relationships that I have made in Sydney, yet it is so good to be home seeing my old friends and family again. It has been brought to my attention that the next batch of CCI Global Scholars has been selected, and I am already jealous of them, since their journey has not yet begun. Watch out folks, you are in for the time of your life.

Being home, living with my parents after living in a foreign country on a completely different time zone has been quite the interesting experience so far, but I know they mean well. I have never felt so independent before Sydney, so the transition back to the usual parental overprotection can be overwhelming at times. I walked to and from the grocery store at a minimum of every three days. I rode the train to work every day, and quickly learned all forms of the New South Wales public transit system on my own. I bought new phone plans, planned trips to different cities, travelled internationally to New Zealand, and did so many other things on my own, so re-adapting to my Knoxvillian life is taking me some time. 

I could not be more grateful for this overall experience as well as the friends I obtained along the way. To my fellow CCI global scholars, thank you for putting up with my weird and goofy self. I truly love y'all and do not know what I would have done in Sydney without you! To Dr. Miller and Dr. Swan, thank you for choosing me to be a part of this incredible program - I will never forget how special this experience was, and I will never be able to express the amount of gratitude I have for you all. To the team of Cardinal Spin (the public relations agency I had the privilege of interning with), thank you for teaching me so many vital skills that have added to both my professional and personal growth, and thank you for being dear friends to me. Lastly, to my parents, thank you for making this trip possible in your openness and willingness to let me travel so far away from home.

Although I will miss Sydney dearly, I am certain that I will return in the future. Thank you Sydney, I promise I will be seeing you later. Until then, you will always hold a special place in my heart. Knoxville, I am so thankful to have you as my home, and for such a special welcome upon my return (pictured below). I am now back and ready to apply all that I have learned to my life going forward, so look out world!



xx,
Liza

No comments:

Post a Comment