Saturday, April 21, 2018

It's been real, it's been fun, but I want to go home

My Australian adventure is finally coming to an end; in just three short days, I'll be jumping on an 18-hour flight back home to Knoxville! To end my trip, I recently got out of my comfort zone and travelled to Cairns, Queensland to see the Great Barrier Reef before I left. It was the perfect way to end this semester and sum up my entire experience (also I was living my Finding Nemo and Little Mermaid dreams). 

Although I have had my ups and downs in Sydney, this experience really has helped me define what I want for myself and my future. Sure, I may complain daily about the lack of biscuits and sweet tea, but experiencing a country outside the States has altered my perspective on myself and my place in the world. I can’t wait to be back in the comforts of the South, but there’s no doubt I’ll miss being a Sydneysider. From endless beach days to playing with rescued wallabies (and yes, our Newtown bar crawls), there will always be a space for Oz in my heart. But, there’s something else I’ll miss: Aussie Allie.

Taking a break from the hustle and bustle of my daily busy routine was just the pause I needed, not just to prevent burnout but also to remind myself what all the exhaustion is for. In Australia, I've actually missed being tired from work or stressed about school. Meanwhile though, I have been having the time of my life, creating new memories everyday, and learning new lessons all the time. Thinking back on the past three months, I'm just so thankful for having this opportunity and can't wait to see what I'll do next with everything I've gained from this amazing semester.


Three days can't come soon enough, but I’ll never forget my brief yet never-ending affair with Australia. Luckily, I’ll get to take more than just souvenirs back to Tennessee since I’ve gotten to meet 18 fellow communication majors that mostly sympathize with my homesickness. I’ll see you soon Rocky Top; please have a Route 44 sweet tea and Taco Bell ready for me!
See you soon,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment