Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Pursuit of Wonder

It’s time to go home.

I keep repeating those words to myself, because no matter how many times I say it, it doesn’t feel real. I’ve developed a habit over the past two weeks of asking the friends I’ve made here “Hey, do you want a ticket from Sydney to Dallas to Knoxville for the 22nd? Take it. I don’t have any use for it.”

Part of me is kidding - I don’t think you can really just give people plane tickets with your name on them anyways. But I’m being serious in the sense that, if I had my way, I would leave Sydney on Sunday, but I wouldn’t go home. I would hit the road and spend the summer discovering more of the country I’ve grown to love so much.

Alas, all things come to an end. Home, family and Chipotle await me. It’s time to go. And that means it’s time to think about what I’m going to bring back with me.

I’ve met so many incredible people while I’ve been here, and, unfortunately, they all have to stay here. (Except the ladies of 6.08 are coming back to Knoxville with me; thank God.) I can’t bring back the coral reefs, the koalas, the sand dunes or ocean. That all belongs here, and here it will stay.

But what have I developed here in myself that I want to take back? Lately I’ve been reflecting on the things I’ve been pursuing while I’ve been in Australia. And I’ve been able to narrow it down to two things.

It goes without saying that a main thing I’ve pursued in Australia is fun. To sum it up, for the past three months, the only question I’ve ever asked myself is “Do I want to do this?” and if the answer is yes, I do it, whether that means spending a day walking around the Botanical Garden listening to podcasts, going to the beach fully clothed just to put my toes in, or going out for the fourth night in a row. And I have had fun here, fun like I didn’t quite know I could have. Enjoyment is something I’ve pursued, actively.

But you know what I’ve learned? Pursuing enjoyment doesn’t fill me, not long-term. It’s just not me. It’s been a great way to live while I’ve been abroad, but it’s something I’ll be leaving here.

The second thing I’ve been pursuing abroad is something it took me a while to put my finger on. I’ve been pursuing wonder. I have been amazed so many times in the past 14 weeks. I’ve seen landscapes that took my breath away. I’ve met people I fit so well with it left me in awe. I’ve stopped in my tracks in the middle of of busy Darling Harbour because I was hit with a wave of how special it was to be there.

That relentless, flat-out pursuit of wonder is something I’ll be taking home. I’ve always known that the world is a magical place, but here, I’ve woken up to that in a way I wasn’t aware was possible.

I’m so grateful to be awake like this, now. I’m so grateful to this place and all the people here who opened their arms to me. I’m so overwhelmed with gratitude (and Taco Bell cravings) that it’s hard to be too sad about leaving.

It’s been amazing, but it’s time to go now.

Unless anyone is looking for a plane seat to Dallas in four days? Take it. It’s yours.

Cheers,

Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment