Thursday, March 8, 2018

A bit about my Aussie life

     The first two weeks of my internship have been good. I am lucky to have an internship that

incorporates both my majors. I am a communication studies, and theatre double major. The internship

 that I have is at The HubStudio. The HubStudio is an actors gym and a great place to take classes at

especially in-between acting jobs.

     I am currently taking a class at The HubStudio, it is Amy Hume's Freeing the Natural Voice class.

I have already learned so much.  Even if you fly across the world, theatre people are still theatre

people. We're all crazy but in good way. It is really neat to have found a theatre community across the

world. At UT I am involved with the Clarence Brown Theatre, and absolutely love it, so it is rather

special to be able to find a similar community 9,500 miles away from home. All that said- look for

my Oscar Nomination in 2026.

     Australia so far has been all really pretty. There are a lot of beaches to choose from to visit each

weekend. My personal favourite is probably Bondi or Manly. Bondi is one of the most famous

beaches in the world I think is what I heard. It is not overly crowded though, which is nice. There is

also lots of good restaurants and eateries to choose from to eat at after a great beach day.

     What I am sad to report is that Koalas are not like opossums to America. There is not a koala in

each eucalyptus tree. In fact I haven't seen one outside of a zoo. So that is sad, but besides that

Australia is all it is cracked up to be. I have seen 2 or 3 wild Kangaroos from a Bus coming back

from my spring break trip!

     Oh also, there are no ice cubes here. Luke-warm water served at restaurants with no air

conditioning is common, so that is a little different from what I am used to. I am already used to

having no air conditioning and ice cubes, when I come back to America, I am having a Dr. Pepper

with the glass filled to the brim with ice cubes.

     Tonight I am leaving for surf camp. It is a 3 day camp, where they pick you up, take you to a

beach and you surf and camp there for 2 nights. I am really hoping they gives us cots and not sleeping

bags. I really hate the sand. Hopefully when I come back, I'll be able to hang 10. Wish me luck!

- Abigail
   

No comments:

Post a Comment