Sunday, March 11, 2018

My Own Boss?

I work with a vet clinic in Sydney. The clinic has created a charity called Project Hope that raises money to help out homeless people's pets. I was brought on the team to take full charge of the charity because no one here has time to deal with it. Everyone that works here is either a vet, vet assistant, or a receptionist (and one person that manages finances). So although I was initially brought on just to manage Project Hope, it turns out they want me to do all marketing, promoting, advertising, writing, and anything else you can think of. When I got here on the first day, the head doctor and owner of the clinic sat me down and threw a TON of ideas at me. Things that he'd been thinking would be a good idea to do for the clinic and for Project Hope but he just has no time to work with them. So, he gave me a bunch of ideas, and left me to run with it.
So here I am, wrapping up week two of interning in Australia, left to my own devices on how to fundraise and how to promote the clinic. But I'd say I'm doing pretty well. I met with the owner of a local pub and I'm in the process of organising a fundraising event (going to be held on April 8th if any of you readers want to fly over here and attend) and I am also creating a new system for the clinic to get more reviews. I've had to be a serious self starter because I don't have any set tasks or deadlines. Setting goals for myself has been so important in keeping myself on track and attaining tangible results. 
Being in charge of myself can be intimidating because this is a huge world with so many options and opportunities for expansion. However, it can also be really thrilling because I am not limited by set tasks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment