Sunday, March 11, 2018

All the Light We Are Yet to See

I can honestly say that I emerged from my week in New Zealand as a new version of myself. Constant action such as bungee jumping (twice), seeing the eighth Wonder of the World with my very own eyes, and driving the entire length of the South Island kept me on my toes and in such awe for the entire duration of my stay, however it wasn't until I took a glimpse into the most secret place I have ever experienced in my life that I truly fell in love with everything around me in such a passionate way.

When we decided to tour the famous glow worm caves in Te Anau, I was excited, but it was a snap decision and I did not know what to expect. We went on the night tour at 9:30 pm, so I was also a bit tired when we headed out on the boat to the caves. Immediately upon my arrival to the welcome centre, I could feel such a stillness and peace in the air that made me ever so eager to discover what was next. 

As soon as I was led into the caves, I was rendered absolutely speechless. It was as if I had walked into a time machine, millions of years back to the beginning go the formation of this incredible part of nature that was the cave. We had to be strictly silence, and no electronics were allowed, which made this even more special. It was such a raw experience like no other I have ever had.

My astonishment became intensified even further when we took a boat further into the darkest part of the cave, where the glow worms reside. It was absolutely silent, and I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face. What I could see, however, were constellations of lights from the worms above and beside me. How small these creatures are, but how small I was in their effervescent presence! I have never felt so finely tuned and integrated in nature before in my life, and it was honestly so euphoric.  It's the greatest show on Earth, and it's tucked away in a little cave in New Zealand, millions of years old, that I was lucky enough to stumble upon. 

Every second in New Zealand brought something truly beautiful into light for me, and I can't wait to be back again someday.

Until next time,

Christina 





In case you want to watch us bungee jump!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbG7yLFKW2c&t=168s

No comments:

Post a Comment