Friday, March 30, 2018

Leaving home to go home

Here we are, a little less than a month away from saying goodbye to Australia.

People have stopped asking what it's like. People have adjusted to my being here. I mean, of course they have. I basically live here now. I say 'no worries', 'chuck it in', 'uni' etc.

It feels strange that my first grown-up, independent life experience happened in a foreign country across the world in a landscape wildly different from the one in which I grew up. I realise how fortunate I am to have brought both my best friend and my boyfriend, as well as some friends I've made through my journey at American uni, yet it still is the most isolated from my normal life I have ever been. 

The things that I miss that I knew I would miss: 
My mom's pancakes
My dogs
My friends
My Appalachian Mountains

The things that I did NOT know I would miss but do:
My dad's whistling
My cats (like, a lot)
My JC Menchie's
My regional music (yeah, I miss country music. Who'd have thought?)
My weekly contra dancing
My late night (and middle of the day and early morning) trips to Waffle House

I guess I thought that after three months, I would have gotten used to living in Australia, and maybe if I stayed here indefinitely, I would. As it is though, I am so grateful to have had this experience because it made me appreciate all the really little things that seemed part of every day life. 

I am ready to fully cherish the moments I have left and even more ready to go home and take advantage of all the wonderful things I have in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment