Friday, March 30, 2018

Pregnant Pause

Time is a weird thing that probably doesn't exist. 

Jesus Christ, Joe, shut up about time already

I WILL NOT! 

Time IS weird! It lives in this paradoxical thing where we always perceive it as moving forward-

"Unless you're at the DMV!"

~I dunno, Bill Maher, probably

-yet it's only a construct of human perception (see: Denis Villeneuve's Arrival). Even so, our perception, or at least MY perception, only goes so far. For me, it only nominally extends to Australia.

God, are you done? 

Not even close.

For me, it seems like time only moves forward around me and the greater Sydney area. As far as I'm concerned, everyone back in Tennessee lives in a sort of temporal Jello, floating around until I can grace them with my presence and bring that missing spark back into their lives. But again,

That's just perception.

Things are happening back home, despite their joie de vivre being across the galaxy globe. In some cases, nothing's going to change that much. I'll dust off my PS4, re-indent my couch, and pull my car out of the garage (unless somebody moved it, in which case, I will fly off the handle and no longer be responsible for my actions). But other things are going to have already changed.

For one, my sister's pregnant. I knew this before I left, but now she's showing and this kid won't stop kicking, apparently. 

It's weird.

It's weird for a lot of reasons, but most relevant, it's weird because that's such a dramatic change from January. When I get back, she'll be one month out from the due date.




Things aren't always in Jello.

No comments:

Post a Comment