Thursday, March 8, 2018

Bus Buddy

To all my fellow women in the world: 

I was having trouble figuring out what I wanted to write about because I knew everyone was going to talk about their Spring Break trips (nothing against that), but I wanted to be different. So, today Liza, Katelyn, and I were headed to Hunter Hills for brunch when I met the sweetest lady on public transit.

Preface: I suck at public transit. I always get us on the right bus but going the wrong way, and of course I did that this morning. I really don't know why I am always the one navigating us places still.

Ok back to the story now.......we were going to a brunch place called Dachshund Coffee. I am obsessed with wiener dogs and love coffee. It was a match made in Heaven for me honestly. I kept talking about this place last night that Katelyn probably hated me for it. Most importantly, the whole coffee shop was decorated with wiener dogs. I was without a doubt...IN LOVE. Heart eyes for this gem of a cafe.

But the best part of the story is the lady I met on the bus ride there. Her name was Meg, and I am still sad I didn't get her number. She overheard me reassuring Katelyn and Liza that we were definitely headed in the right direction this time. She proceeded to ask me where we were headed to make sure we were actually going in the right direction. (People are so nice here!) Then, the general questions came about America and why I'm in Sydney. She asked me to explain the dynamic is at my job since I'm just an intern. In my opinion, work environments in Australia are way more laid back than in America. I don't feel like an intern at my internship. They are very welcoming, and I am learning so much about the events industry. Lastly, Meg started talking about gender equality in the workplace and how it has effected her. She was coming from the International Women's Day event at ICC in Sydney when she sat by me on the bus. I can't put into words all the amazing things that she witnessed at the International Women's Day event. Everything she said was so encouraging and empowering as a young woman about to enter into the business world! The wise words she left me with were: "Go for whatever you feel in your heart to be passionate about. If people doubt you because of your gender, then you forget about them and just keep pushing towards your dream."

WHAT AN AWESOME WOMAN MEG IS.

These words will stay with me. Inspire me. I will pass this message along until my last breaths.

So I leave you with this amazing story, empowering words, and a great day. To all my fellow working women out there, may we all keep pushing towards our dreams each and every day, and always remember we have the right to be heard.

Cheers,
Cheyenne

p.s. I meet the most amazing people on public transit. I hate to say I will miss public transit once I leave Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment