Wednesday, January 24, 2018

An Already Incredible Experience




Leading up to this trip I did not really know what to expect about the land down under. After a week, I can say that Sydney is greater than any of the expectations that I could have had. From the Opera House to Manly Beach, Sydney’s one of a kind culture is unlike any that I have ever experienced.

The reason for Sydney’s unique culture is due to the city’s incredible diversity. In Sydney you have the opportunity to see the Australian stereotype, but also observe the traditions of aboriginals, which is one of the oldest cultures in the world. One night I was in a bar near Chinatown drinking an asian beer and only one block over was a Spanish bar. You may even be walking to catch a train and hear a number of different languages that you have never heard before. It is experiences like these that make Sydney so amazing.

I decided to come to Sydney due to the knowledge and experience that I would gain from learning and working in a different culture. After a week, I have already gained so much insight and knowledge, not only regarding Australian culture, but numerous other cultures that one can find throughout the city. I believe that as I continue my journey here in Sydney, all of these cultures will impact me in some way and this is the reason that I chose to study abroad.


While I will occasionally find myself missing my family or the University of Tennessee, it is important to remember to take advantage of the time that I have in this incredible place. Over the course of these three months, I hope to develop both mentally and professionally as I have an opportunity to live in such a unique environment. I am beyond thankful for the opportunity that I have to grow and mature in this beautiful country. With one incredible week already behind me, I am looking forward to the many more life changing weeks ahead in this extraordinary city.


No comments:

Post a Comment