Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Changes and Challenges

It's been a week in Sydney! Time is such a strange thing - I feel like I've always been here, yet it feels like I was dropped on the Australian coast just yesterday.
I can't get over how beautiful it is here. I have never considered myself a beach person, but I have been completely blown away by every coast we've seen. This morning we did a spectacular beach walk from Coogee to Bondi, and the coast was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life.
I have to admit, I can already tell that I made a mistake in preparing for my trip. By that I mean, I didn't prepare. I thought I would be fine to go to Sydney and play it by ear. But having no plans has actually made the twelve weeks remaining feel very daunting! I realized pretty quickly that I needed to make a list of things to do on evenings and weekends so I feel like I have my feet under me.
The jet lag was also a shock. When I've traveled to Europe in the past, I felt fine after a day. Here, I still feel turned around after a week.
I've also been more homesick than I thought I would be. This will be the longest I've ever been away from my family in my life, and that's a big deal for me. The time difference makes them feel even farther away. It's definitely been difficult.
Honestly, I'm excited that it's felt this challenging so far. I came to Sydney to grow, and I think that's happening more here than any other week of my life! I can't wait to feel a little more settled every day so I can keep diving into this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment