Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Sad and Boujee

          If there's one thing that the world economy and Settlers of Catan have taught me, it's that resources are precious. The bees are dying, Cape Town might run out of water soon, and no one will trade me 1 Wood for 2 Sheep. In short, things disappear. Over these last few days in Sydney, lots of things have disappeared for me: money, food, healthy skin, my chapstick, and, perhaps most terrifyingly, my data. 

          I feel that I wasn't adequately prepared for the data drought here; at Urbanest, we're only afforded 20 gigs per month. That's not a lot. Sure, I could just switch over to my data plan with Vodaphone, but that's not exactly cheap either. So, in reaction to this, I've put myself on a data diet, which means:

No Netflix.

Less Twitter refreshing.

Not watching this for hours on end each day.

The most devastating part of this, however, is no Spotify.

          I love music. Who doesn't? It's the nectar of the gods, or, at the very least, the Coke Zero. Usually, anytime I'm doing something back home, I have a soundtrack accompanying me. I mostly listen to indie rock stuff like Cage the Elephant or Portugal. The Man, but recently I've had to strip that back down to one Electric Guest playlist I just happened to have downloaded prior. Because I love Electric Guest, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be nice to have a few more choices each time I sit down to do my homework or write this blog.

          This whole music embargo thing has been, at the very worst, slightly irritating for the most part. A few days ago, though, Migos dropped their newest album, Culture II. I loved the first Culture, but I haven't been able to listen to the new one yet for fear of incurring even more costs on this already expensive trip.

That really bums me out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment