Sunday, February 11, 2018

Getting Squiddy with It

     
     I am going to tell you about the time Addie cried squid, but couldn't because she almost drown.  

     We went to Noddy Beach in NewCastle, Australia the other day. Yesterday. I remember it like it was yesterday. Because it was yesterday. 

     The waves were of biblical proportion. 
     I am talking about the kind that rocked Pangea into extinction. 
     The kinds that took out the dinosaurs, and mammoths alike. 

     It was also a scorching hot day, the sand burned each foot you placed on it. So both of your feet. 
We sat our towels down on the sand. I got my towel perfectly laid out, all corners spread out on the sand. 

BUT THEN...

     The wind swooped in and with it, it carried small grains of sand that pelted your skin, and covered your towel. 
     We knew we would not make it through this sand storm, so we decided to take the challenge of getting in the ocean waters. Addie and I walked/ ran across the hot sand, to the edge of the waters. We gazed upon the tall waves. We decided to ease in, running closer through each smaller wave. 

     We soon found out that seaweed is everywhere in the water. EVERYWHERE. Seaweed, and other foliage filled the waters. I was not scared that something semi-slimy was touching me at all times in the water. Addie and I adventure farther into the waves. 

     We are at the critical point where you have to play the game "Over Under." Which is basically you have to decide to go over or under the huge waves...

     This is when this huge huge huge wave started hurling towards us. Addie screamed. I was trying to strategise. I saw the water started to white cap. I decided this was an 'under' wave. I go under the wave and it is powerful. It rolls me and I am under the water for a little. I am fine. I am not sure what Addie decided, but she ended up closer to shore than I did. 

     When I arise from the waves, Addie is yelling, "Abigail there is something in your HAIR!" I hear her and think,"Wow, Addie it is probably seaweed, so scary." She continues to tell me there is something in my hair and I continue to swim, and have fun because I underestimate her knowledge of the sea. Sorry Addie.

         She is swimming closer to me,  
         kind of with this worried laugh. She starts to say something
else, when this huge wave that I go under, takes Addie out. Addie goes under like under, under. Like knocked her out, 'she might as well be gone' kind of wave*. 

     Addie is taken to almost the edge of the shore when I see her next. I follow her, and she then tells me I had a red squid on my head! That it was wrapped around my head kind of like a crown, but not really. I asked her if it was still on my head, but she told me the second wave washed him away. I honestly did not feel this little squid on my head. I thought that the fact that I had a red squid on my head was pretty cool. 






* The state of Addie's drowning was emphasised for story-telling effect. She did not almost die.



   

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment