Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you.

If you know me, you know I love Taylor Swift.

On her latest album there’s a track called New Year’s Day. This song holds a special place in my heart not only because the title is my birthday, but because the lyrics hit me hard. When brainstorming ideas for this blog, New Year’s Day started playing and Taylor sang these sweet lyrics:

“Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you.”

I have made so many unforgettable memories during my month here in Sydney. Most have been documented on social media, but some of my favorite memories are the inside jokes I share with my fellow CCI Global Scholars. These are the ones we’ll tell our friends about when we get home and it’ll be a “You had to be there” moment.

For my CCI Global Scholars, this one’s for you.
  • Toast time. Peanut butter and honey, enough said.
  • Cal’s sunburned hands and feet
  • Married at First Sight marathons
  • $1 slurpees at 7/11
  • Being ignored by Australian dogs
  • Our newest addiction: Tim Tams
  • “Burrr, it’s cold in here. There’s must be some CCI Global Scholars in the atmosphere.”
  • Crazy Cousin Cal and his vegemite toast
  • “I’ve never seen Zack and Addie run so fast”
  • Ryan’s dance battle at Ivy with the Master Chief from Halo and “future Iron Man”
  • Family vine sessions in 508; personal favorites: “Hello,” “Uzahhh,” and “I can’t believe you’ve done this”
  • Creepy crawlies song
  • Picking up boys at a rugby game
  • Finally finding Dr. Pepper but it was $5 a can
  • $1 hot dog day at the Soda Factory
  • Shimmy shoulder dance move
  • Abigail “borrowing” dinosaur wrapping paper from the hallway
  • Telling every local Aussie I meet about Chick-Fil-A, sweet tea, Olive Garden, and Dolly Parton
  • Sprinting to the bridge climb with Carson
  • Janet and Pocahontas
  • Finally finding mac and cheese at the grocery store
  • Our Little Mermaid day at Newcastle and Abigail getting a bright red squid stuck in her hair
  • There’s a fruit thief
  • Aussie Alice and our free chocolate muffin
  • Our fairy godmothers; bless y’all

I cannot believe the first part of the semester is over. I am so blessed to have each and every one of you by my side. It will be so weird to not spend every hour of every day together as a group, but I’m excited to see everyone blossom at your internships. Spring break is right around the corner (I guess technically it’s fall break here in Sydney?) and I can’t wait. Here we come Whitsunday Island and the Great Barrier Reef!

Thank you Phase 1 for the memories. Here’s to Phase 2.

Also, a special thank you to Dr. Miller for being the best mom and looking after all of us crazy kids. We'll miss you!

1 comment: