Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Good 'ol Rocky Top

I have yet to introduce myself, and we’re already on blog #3. So with that being said, I’m Cheyenne Davis and a senior at UT Knoxville. I’m originally from Nashville and love it there. Some things I’m really passionate about are – kids, antique shops, Tim Tams, wiener dogs, Chip and Joanna Gaines, event planning, E! News, and reality TV shows (they are entertaining).

I find myself reminiscing on my three and a half years at UT while I’ve been in Sydney. Seems normal right? Hopefully, since I’m graduating in three short months. I wanted to share some of my favorite memories from college with everyone on the program and anyone else who reads our blog. I wouldn't have the opportunity to be in Australia if it wasn't for UT, so here’s a glimpse into my last three and a half years as a college student!
Freshman Year: My friends and I drove to Gatlinburg at 1 AM and did nothing because why not. Sweet Hannah (from my last post) asked my shy self to be her lab partner in Geology 103, and somehow we are both in Sydney right now…crazy how life works out sometimes! I remember my first football game as a student like it was yesterday. I was soaked by the end of the game, but it didn’t matter because UT won. I’m pretty sure I consumed an ungodly amount of PCB cookies and Chick-fil-a this year. I blame UT for putting both of these things 5 feet away from SCarrick. RIP to FOG - you will be forever missed and were the only healthy thing I ate freshman year.


Sophomore Year: My roommate’s guinea pig died after having it for two weeks. Really not funny at the time but hilarious now. Probably not our best decision...but it is buried in the ground at The Heights (Carson please don’t tell any of your co workers!!!). I established lifelong friendships through AOII, clubs, classes, and organizations this year while still having a naïve soul. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but the ambition to keep moving forward was there thanks to my friends and family for believing in me and pushing me to figure out what I was really passionate about.


Junior Year: I decided to take American Sign Language as my foreign language on a whim and realized how important it is to educate myself and others on ASL and Deaf culture. Not only did I know nothing about Deaf culture and their language, but I was blind to the many struggles they face. Taking ASL was by far one of the best decisions I have made and has allowed me to be more observant of my surroundings. I genuinely think about what others are going through because of it. I traveled to Washington D.C., Columbia (twice), New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Greeneville, Asheville, and Charleston with my best friends this year. I have countless great memories from each of those trips, and I’ve decided I must really like South Carolina.
 
Senior Year: I will never forget my last football game as a student. It completely down poured with intense rain in the stadium, and I think my boots were wet for days. (Side note: just realized it poured at my first and last game as a UT student – so weird.) Thank you to my roomies - Del, Hannie, and Marg - for all sleeping in my room one of our last nights all together. It will forever be one of my favorite nights in Knoxville. Lastly, I successfully passed 18 hours worth of upper level classes my last semester in Knox just to be able to make it to Sydney. It was a struggle, but I am so happy to be in Australia! 






I hope everyone enjoyed my time travel through my favorite memories. I am currently having the time of my life in Sydney. They say the culture shock will be setting in soon, but I am still on cloud 9 at the thought of not having to spend my last semester of college in Knoxville. (Sorry Knox, but you are only fun for a little while.) I am leaving extra room for Sydney memories in my senior year section, and I have a feeling they will be the best ones yet.

Cheers,
Cheyenne 

No comments:

Post a Comment