Wednesday, February 7, 2018

This one takes the cake

“What has been your favorite part so far?”

I hear this question at least once a week, and every week, my answer changes. That’s because every day in Sydney has been like a dream. Since my last blog, I hiked 7 miles in the rain from Spit to Manly and saw the bluest sky after the rain, petted a kangaroo at Taronga Zoo, and saw The Greatest Showman at an openair cinema at Bondi Beach with a great group of friends.

While all of this has been amazing, last Sunday takes the cake.


The day started off with the best brunch I’ve ever had. Concrete Jungle Cafe is a hole-in-the-wall eatery about 10 minutes from our apartments. Shoutout to Instagram for the idea. I got the blueberry and lemon hot cake topped with ricotta cream, coconut flakes, and mixed berries. Even a picky eater like myself was in heaven from the first bite. I also got the prettiest cappuccino I’ve ever seen. I added three packs of sugar and it was good to go.


When Carson and I were checking out, we made friends with the waitress who decided to give us a free chocolate muffin. “Come back and tell me how it was,” she said. 

Next stop: the Queen Victoria Building.

The QVB is absolutely beautiful. We did a lot of window shopping and I was in awe of the window displays. We even got to see hand painted Aboriginal artwork and a Dr. Seuss gallery.

Pit stops along the way: a really cool record store with old Dolly Parton CD’s and the St. Andrews Cathedral.


The main event of the day was climbing the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Carson and I caught the end of the sunset and saw the night sky lit up by the moon and towers while climbing the largest single span arch bridge in the world and the international symbol of Australia. We climbed to the top where the flags are, and the view was amazing. While up there, I had another “Wow, I’m really in Australia,” moment.


Every day I’m trying something new, and every day is a new adventure. There’s something about this city that makes me want to try new things and step outside of my comfort zone.

Here’s to many, many more adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment